Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

miley on my mind

It's fair to say this post is a leap from the type I normally publish. Nothing about what my kiddos are saying or doing today. Instead I just have to share a few of the thoughts that have been swirling around in my head lately. It's quite possible that this post will be more for me, personally, than anything else. So, here goes...

I didn't watch the VMA's. Didn't even know they were happening. But it was hard to miss all the buzz when I logged onto facebook yesterday morning. So I clicked on the article, read it, and watched the clip. And of course I saw the same thing and had the same reaction as most other people on the planet. It was bad. Super bad. Totally inappropriate. No doubt about that. And then I read the comments, which seemed to have a common theme. Words like pathetic, disgusting, disturbing ... those were the most mild descriptors and of course there were some much more strongly-worded sentiments. But I've been thinking a lot about the words "seeking" and "sinner" the past few weeks. Nothing super specific or profound. Just random thoughts. And I've had some good discussions with people, too. It got me to thinking, What if my life - my quiet thoughts, my silent criticisms, my past regrets, my secret sins - were set to music and displayed on screen for the world to see? I can imagine the comments that would come flooding in from the viewers. I imagine they would have a similar theme to Miley's. Pathetic? Yep. Disgusting? For sure. Disturbing? You bet. Oh, and another common one "Her parents should be so ashamed." Guess what? MINE TOO! Now I'm not saying that those comments aren't accurate. I'm just saying that my sins are the same. So, all I can feel is compassion for her. And that's got nothing to do with me. It's all because of Christ.

They will know we are Christians by our love. Right? It's only by God's unending love and mercy that I have His truth in my heart. And that's because God placed and used people in my life to guide me and speak truth to me. Praise Him for that! So, I wonder who Miley has in her life to speak truth to her. I highly doubt I will ever meet her, but I think that as Christians we need to unite with a message of love! Afterall, Christ didn't call me to be His child after I got my act together. I'll never have my act together. I'll always be a sinner. No better than Miley. He met me right where I was at and revealed his grace.

So, what do we do about Miley? I guess I'm not really sure. I just hope and pray that through all the negative press that is sure to head her way in the weeks to come, a message of Christ's love could somehow be conveyed. And that message has to come from his people.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, so true. As a parent, I am sure if I had a video clip of the thoughts and actions of my children I would be ashamed. Yet I love them. As a child, if my parents had a clip of the bad things and thoughts in my life, they would not be proud. Our Heavenly father is also not proud, but he loves us and so much so he gave us a son that had no such video clips. There was only moments in Jesus's life to make the Father proud. His payment - the cross! Because the Father loved the rest of us that much.